Specialty Food Producer Essay Contest
Atlanta’s Next Culinary Adventurer
Win a culinary entrepreneur package worth more than $8000.00
PREP Cook Create Connect—Atlanta’s food business accelerator and unique shared kitchen facility—invites all of our soon-to-be-famous creative foodie folks to join our essay contest and share their stories! You are the ones who bring that delicious dish or item to gatherings, potlucks, and parties, and keep hearing from friends that you need to start a business and sell it.
You have dreams of being culinary entrepreneurs but find that there is very little support and information on how to get started. This is your chance to start your company! The only rule? Your food product should be an idea that can be permitted under the Georgia Department of Agriculture and contain less than 3% meat!
The writer of the winning essay, hosted by prep, will receive the following:
PREP Cook Create Connect Department of Agriculture Membership $5,050.00
(including guidance with regulations and permitting)
• PREP assistance with Social Media & Search engine marketing & SEO $250.00
• Business development session with PREP Director of Operations – $275.00
• Prager Law – Consultation on branding/trademark search – $1000.00
• ACityDiscount Credit for small wares and utensils – $500.00
• Barcode Warehouse label design/printing – $500.00
• Georgia Restaurant Association – 1 year membership – $350.00
• Bennett Graphics packaging design/printing – $200.00
• Gordon Food Service Credit for food products – $200.00
• Session working with Gordon Foods Chef to develop and perfect the recipe
• Blue Hominy Public Relations 1 hour consultation $150.00
• Georgia Grown 1 year Membership $150.00
• Access to Capital for Entrepreneurs to be used for AG Permitting – $150.00
• Eagle Training Resources ServSafe training class $150.00
• Fetch (delivery truck rental) $150.00 Credit
• Session with a SCORE business Mentor
Your original essay should demonstrate that you have put thought into creating and bringing a product to market. In your entry, please include the following:
1. A description of the product that you wish to produce. And an Example of when someone (other than your Mom) was raving about your culinary creation.
2. Your experience with cooking or the food business.
3. How you will develop your product to bring it to market and what your logo, packaging and branding will look like.
4. A cost analysis. of your product and the resources you will find to help you succeed.
5. Your marketing strategy and how you plan to expand your business in the future. What obstacles might you encounter?
6. What is your target market, and what is your projection of sales in years 1,2 & 3.
6. What would make you an engaged and creative member of the PREP family?
Please send your submissions in electronic format (word, doc, pdf) to firstname.lastname@example.org, or mail to PREP, 3300 Marjan Drive, Atlanta GA 30340 by Friday March 3rd, 2017! We will contact the winner via PHONE and email by March 20, so stay tuned and keep creating!
For Questions about this essay contest, please send a message to essay@PREPatl.com
(you can also let us know what you are writing about)
The Fine Print for PREP’s Membership Essay Contest
- Contestant winner must be willing to accept honest feedback about product
- Winner should work with a Gordon Food Service Chef to develop the recipe for production
- Contestants must be 18 or older
- Contestants must legally reside in the state of Georgia
- Contestants must not be PREP Members, employees of Members, associated with PREP, or have received a proposal from PREP..
- Essays must be received by 11:59 PM Friday March 3rd, 2017.
- Include a self-addressed stamped envelope so we can let you know that we received your submission.
- Essays submitted after 11:59 PM Friday March 3rd, 2017 will not take part in the contest.
- Submit a cover letter with your essay including your personal and contact information.
- Your name should NOT be anywhere in the essay. This means that the essays can be judged anonymously.
- The essay should be written in English and be at least 1000 words,.
- You must provide a word count on your cover letter.
- Your essay should be word-processed preferably using Microsoft Word, using double line spacing, with each page numbered, and with the essay title on the top of each page. The essay should NOT be printed double-sided, so there should be typing on just one side of each page.
- Do not include any pictures or other illustrations.
- PREP management will eliminate essays which do not follow instructions.
- PREP will narrow down the essays to the 6 best.
- Outside persons with no connection to PREP or contestants will choose the winner.
- Every essay submitted has an equal chance of winning this contest.
- Regardless of the number of entries, every submission will be read.
- Understand that this is a great beginning, however your success depends on how hard you work.
- Winner will have 15 days after notification to accept prize. In the event the prize is declined, the prize will be offered to the runner up.
- Upon submission of an entry, the submission becomes the property PREP.
- By entering the Contest, entrants grant PREP the right, unless prohibited by law, to use their names, cities and states of residence, pictures, and likenesses without compensation, for the express purpose of advertising and publicity of PREP and the Contest in any and all media, now or after.
- The administration of the Contest, including, without limitation, determining the eligibility of a entry, selecting of a judge, evaluating any submitted entry, and awarding of the prizes, is within the sole and absolute discretion of PREP. No person or organization related thereto, has a right to appeal, contest, dispute, or otherwise challenge any aspect of the administration of the Contest, and any decision of PREP is final in all respects.
- Winner must be eligible to obtain business liability insurance as required for PREP Membership. (Cost estimate 200 – 500.00 annually)
- Winner will only use the kitchen to produce this product (and future similar products)
- Winner may not use kitchen for any other uses including prepared foods, ready to eat foods, or any type of food service operations
- Winner understands that shelf stable tomato based products may require Better Process Control School. If your products are tomato based, acidified or close to 6.5 ph please research this course presented at UGA Athens
- Winner must be ready to begin within 60 days of winning contest
- In administering the Contest, PREP will not discriminate in any manner, including on the basis of race, color, national, or ethnic origin.
- Nothing in this contest has monetary value and additional offerings may be claimed upon licensing by the Georgia Department of Agriculture and compliance with PREP’s rules and regulations and policies and procedures.
- Prizes are for the winner only and may not be transferred to any other person at any time.
- PREP Membership is not transferrable
- Winner will meet with Director of Operations or other PREP Management as designated to give progress updates.
- Winner must have ongoing monetary support via employment, inheritance or other means. Winning this contest will not provide immediate income
- Additional terms, conditions and restrictions may apply.
Essay Contest Sponsors:
PREP Cook Create Connect – PREPatl.com – PREP FaceBook
ACityDiscount – AcityDiscount.com – Facebook
Barcode Warehouse – BarCodeWarehouse.biz – Facebook
Byte Into It Web/Video – ByteIntoIt.com – Facebook
Prager Law – PragerLaw.us – Facebook
Georgia Restaurant Association – GaRestaurants.org – Facebook
Bennett Graphics – BennettGraphics.com – Facebook
Gordon Food Service – www.gfs.com – Facebook
Blue Hominy Public Relations – BlueHominy.com – Facebook
Georgia Grown – GeorgiaGrown.com – Facebook
Access To Capital for Entrepreneurs – Aceloans.org – Facebook
Eagle Food Service Training – EagleFoodServiceTraining.com
Fetch – Fetch.com – Facebook
SCORE – NorthMetroAtlanta.Score.org – Facebook
What is PREP?
Based in Atlanta, GA, PREP supports, provides resources for, and serves as the food production home to a rising class of culinary entrepreneurs in the Southeast. PREP features state-of-the-art, commercial-quality, shared kitchen dedicated production spaces, food business growth resources, procurement, and hands-on guidance to specialty food producers, chefs, bakers, caterers, food trucks, and the next generation of food artisans. Find out more at www.PREPatl.com
PREP Cook-Create-Connect is a fully licensed unique shared kitchen concept. Established with one goal in mind
to help build and support small food businesses in Metro Atlanta.
PREP provides state-of-the-art commercial shared kitchen space, test kitchens resources, food procurement and guidance to a talented and creative class of entrepreneurs.
These are specialty food producers, baker, caterers and mobile food service operators, along with the next generation of food artisans. PREP is a privately held company based in Atlanta, GA.
For more information about PREP please call (404) 920-4150
or visit www.PREPatl.com PREP on Facebook – PREP on Twitter – Truck & Tap – Atlanta Food Truck Catering – Essay Contest